Reach your destination faster with Motor-CAD
Variant investigation made easy
Motor-CAD: Multiphysical simulation for electric motors
Many different parameters come into play when designing and dimensioning an electric motor: electromagnetics, thermal aspects, mechanical loads and operating efficiency. These parameter investigations take time. Motor-CAD enables you to quickly find your direction, which you can then perfect with Ansys tools.
Highlights at a glance
- Fast results at an early stage of development
- Rapidly investigate complex multiphysics phenomena
- Toolkit with four disciplines
- Intuitive operation
- Connection to Ansys for more extensive analysis
- World-leading solution from MDL (Motor Design Limited), on the market since 1998
- CADFEM as the ideal partner for Motor-CAD & Ansys
Motor-CAD simulation modules
Motor-CAD is a software suite consisting of four modules. It enables the fast design and testing of electric motors with regard to performance, size and efficiency. The multiphysics computations are designed for speed and user-friendliness in order to significantly shorten the development process.
Fast thermal analysis
The thermal investigations in Motor-CAD are based on thermal networks, which makes the analysis extremely fast. All thermal resistances and capacitances are automatically simulated from the geometric dimensions of the defined design. Depending on the given cooling mechanisms, suitable models for heat transfer are independently selected.
- Steady-state and transient solution in seconds
- Almost all types of cooling predefined
- Simplified circuit model for fast simulation
- 2D FEM calibration
- Library with components and characteristics validated using measurement technology
Fast electromagnetic analysis
Motor-CAD EMag optimizes a wide range of machine types, such as brushless permanent-magnet machines, asynchronous machines, switched and synchronous reluctance machines and synchronous machines. The parameters are defined using input screens. The field distributions are available in a matter of seconds, with result graphs showing, for example, the torque, back EMF or cogging torque.
- Extremely fast computations
- 2D-FEM-based, transient electromagnetic solver, combined with analytical models
- Rapid analysis of losses caused by, e.g. current displacement in conductors or eddy currents in magnets
- Automatic generation of winding designs, users can create their own
- Extensive range of parameterized templates. User’s own designs can be imported via DXF
Fast centrifugal analysis
Motor-CAD Mech is the newest module in the quartet. Released with version 12 in 2019, it offers fast testing of loads and deformations under the influence of centrifugal forces. Development engineers can use Mech to find the optimum ratio between magnetic and mechanical target variables.
- Quickly determine the effect of centrifugal forces
- Ready-to-use geometric templates
- Own geometries can be imported via DXF
- 2D FEM solver
Fast operation-oriented analysis
Motor-CAD Lab provides virtual laboratory testing for the use of electrical machines. Efficiency maps show the efficiency via speed and torque. Combined with drive cycles or other load spectra, various application scenarios and resulting temperature profiles can be determined.
- Uses reduced models for maximum speed
- Very fast and accurate simulation of electromagnetic and thermal characteristic maps
- Shows total torque behavior over efficiency
- Drive cycle analysis with predefined drive cycles, such as WLTP, US06 or own load profiles
- Predefined control strategies: maximum torque per ampere (MTPA), max. efficiency, q current only or own inputs.
Motor-CAD specialist articles and conference papers
Read about the importance of simulating electric motors in development for achieving the optimum design as quickly as possible.
In our live webinars, you’ll receive current information first-hand, as well as helpful tips & tricks on using Motor-CAD
All CADFEM seminars are characterized by a strong practical focus, sustained learning outcomes and a pleasant learning atmosphere.
The right solutions for your simulation projects
Simulation is everywhere and affects every industry. Since simulation requires more than software, CADFEM offers everything you need for successful simulation from a single source: software and IT solutions, consulting, support, engineering and knowledge sharing – always on the cutting edge.