Simulation helps to accelerate the development of electric motors considerably
Simulation makes electric motors more competitive
Multiphysics challenges as well as cost and time pressure determine the development of electric motors. State-of-the-art simulation methods can help.
The perfect workflow
Nowadays, the efficient development of electric motors and generators without using a simulation aid is inconceivable. The optimal variant depends on so many parameters that field tests and prototypes are uneconomical and too tedious in the long run.
The electric motor challenge
Modern specifications require increasingly detailed information in the early phases of the development process, including in areas such as:
- Electromagnetic fields, among other things with torque, torque ripple, and cogging torque, as well as excitation forces.
- Thermal management with temperature distribution – in some cases, this is critical to demagnetization.
- Active cooling with different fluids for better motor utilization.
- Mechanical loads, especially with delicate IPM structures.
- Acoustic requirements – since the combustion engine is missing, which drowns out all electric motors.
- System simulation, with battery and converter.
The time factor
One solution is simulation software. The factor of time also plays a part in electric motor simulation, if only traditional tools are used. The many variants and challenging disciplines such as thermal dynamics, structural mechanics, electrotechnics, and acoustics take their toll on computing power and interaction intervals.
British software developer Motor Design Limited (MDL) has launched a solver package specially developed for the electric motor industry – Motor-CAD – which enables quick simulation during operation of key areas such as electromagnetics (EMag), thermal dynamics (Therm), structural mechanics (Mech), and efficiency.
CADFEM has identified the benefits for its clients and has cleverly combined Motor-CAD with ANSYS for detailed analysis, creating the ideal tool combination for an improved workflow for virtual electric motor development:
- Quick iterations and variant checks in Motor-CAD
- More in-depth analysis of favorites in ANSYS Workbench
- Virtual commissioning at system level in ANSYS Twin Builder
- Early launch of optimal electric motors to the market
Contact the CADFEM Expert for Electric Drives
Webinars on electric motor simulation
In our live webinars, you’ll receive current information first-hand, as well as helpful tips and tricks on electric motor simulation.
Seminars on electric motor simulation
All CADFEM seminars are characterized by a strong practical focus, sustained learning outcomes, and a pleasant learning atmosphere.
Added value for electric motor development with simulation products
More on the topic of electric motor simulation
CADFEM takes a holistic approach to the topic of electric motor simulation and is one of very few providers to offer its clients comprehensive support in the selection, implementation, and application of simulation solutions.
More simulation applications
Our simulation solutions cover a wide spectrum of physics.
For the most important domains of physics, there are also specific applications that go much further in-depth.
CADFEM covers practically all of them. With software and technical expertise.